ShareThis

ShareThis

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

NOTICE!!!!!

I have moved my blog to craftpassion.com,
please go there for updated post. I am no longer posting my blog
here.


Sep 24, 2008

Craft Fair: Kasut Manek / Beaded Shoes

"Manek" is the Malay words for "beads", and "Kasut" means "shoes". Kasut Manek were made and worn by Peranakan women as a part of their traditional costume in olden days. The tiny little "manek potong" are hand-sewed onto a piece of cloth and the finished hand-piece is then custom made to a pair of shoes, be it open-toe or fully covered type. There are also available in slipper type where they are made up of two strips sewn in a criss-cross or parallel manner across the feet.
I am now making one for my own, an open-toe type and it is about to finish. It is very tedious and can be strenuous on the eyes too as the beads are so tiny. I have spent weeks working on it and the process is so slow. I am sure it will be a beautiful pair of shoes, yes, an unique one for me that you can get it from the market.
If you want to get a glimpse of how to make a Kasut Manek, With Every Bead will satisfy your curiosity.

Stumble Upon Toolbar

0 comments:

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP