ShareThis

ShareThis

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin

NOTICE!!!!!

I have moved my blog to craftpassion.com,
please go there for updated post. I am no longer posting my blog
here.


May 19, 2009

Recycle Tutorial - Making Of T-Shirt Yarn

Another tutorial to help save our Mother Earth by turning unwanted items into something useful. This is the yarn ball I made out of an old T-shirt which I have been wearing for 10 years day-in day-out, wash-in wash-out. It finally broke down and tore at the collar and sleeves. Waste not, want not, I decided to recycle it.

In this tutorial, you will need:

1. T-shirt (those without side-seam)
2. A pair of sharp scissors

Place the T-shirt flat on the floor or working table.
We only need the bottom-halve portion of the T-shirt. Cut horizontally from sleeve to sleeve as shown above. Cut away the end border of the T-shirt too. This useful" portion must be plain and free from printing, embroidery and any joints or seams. Any motifs will be too hard for the T-shirt to turn into tubular yarn.

Fold the T-shirt from side to side, leaving an inch allowance as shown.

Cut into strips as shown, remember not to cut the 1 inch allowance. Leave it there as we are going to use this to form a continuous strip.
The width of the strip will determine the thickness of your yarn, but the minimum is 15mm, anything less than this, the process will fail. The width shown here is 15mm.

Finish cutting the T-shirt from top to bottom evenly.
Unfold the 1 inch allowance and it will look as shown below.
The next process is to make a slant cut from strip 1 to strip 2, strip 2 to strip 3 and so on in order to create a continuous strip for the whole T-shirt.
I purposely leave the first strip uncut until I have finished all. No catch, just my preference to show you better how the slanting looks like.
Now, I have a loooooooong strip of continuous T-shirt yarn waiting for the next process.
Next is to turn the strip into a tubular yarn. All you need to do is tug the strip as shown below. Rememeber I told you that the minimum width of the strip is 15mm? The secret is.... if you have anything narrower than this, it will break once you pull.
See, the strip will curl and form a tubular shape after the tug. This process will lengthen the yarn too, which is good, so you have more yarn to work on your project.



....tug....

....tug....

....tug....

The strip has now turned into tubular yarn, from Fettuccine to Spaghetti ***wink***. You can roll your yarn into ball and it is ready for your next project.

HAPPY YARNING!!!

A preview of what is coming up next!!!!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

7 comments:

Carrie @ Cottage Cozy May 20, 2009 at 2:59 AM  

Now that is totally cool...

Stay Cozy, Carrie

Meg@MegaCrafty May 20, 2009 at 12:36 PM  

This is great- I'm going to try it next time I have an old tee to get rid of. Thanks!

Food For Tots May 20, 2009 at 1:25 PM  

It never come across my mind that an old T-shirt can be recycled into another interesting items. You really have a "green" mind!

Anonymous,  May 20, 2009 at 11:50 PM  

What size hook do you use?

LadyWillow May 21, 2009 at 2:41 AM  

Clever Idea and good instructions. Will have to try it. /;)

Caren "Kay" May 21, 2009 at 8:31 PM  

This is so cool! I can't wait to go cut up a T-shirt! I'm passing this along to my buds. Thanks a ton. ckb

Craftpassion May 22, 2009 at 12:16 AM  

Please try it out and if you have any question please feel free to ask me.

Latinboop - I am using hook size 8/0.

There will be a free pattern coming up next, so stay tune.

Post a Comment

www.flickr.com

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP